Words on the Soviet-Jewish immigration, Russian-Jewish issues, history...
Thanks for stopping by. I'm a freelance writer and editor based in Toronto. Born in St. Petersburg back when it was Leningrad, I immigrated at a very early age and was raised in Edmonton, Alberta. I mostly write on contemporary Russian-Jewish issues and culture. My work has appeared in the Walrus Magazine, the Forward, Tablet, Saveur and others. Find more here.
What I'm Up To
- Soviet Samovar, a monthly round-up of Russian-Jews news, events and culture. Sign up
- An oral history of the Soviet Jewish immigration in the pre-collapse period. This means mostly the 1970s, but stretching into the late '80s. Learn more and share your story
- I was interviewed for a Contact Magazine feature on tensions between Russian and American Jews. Read it. And read my op-ed for the Forward on the same issue. Catch that one here
- Read my interview with Jewcy.com, who named me to their "Big Jewcy" list a while back.
- My interview with Shalom USA Radio in Baltimore: